Friday 5 January 2018

LIST 229 - 05/01/18 (a 2008 selection)

Hello again,

A very happy New Year to all List readers, and I hope that the flu that seems to have visited my own particular corner of the globe just recently is keeping a respectable distance from yours.

Considering there were only four Lists in the entirety of 2017 the usual "it was 10/20/30 years ago this year" sort of specials didn't make an appearance, and I'm not necessarily going to be looking to do two or three editions' worth of stuff from each of 1988, 1998, etc. this year either.  I did, however, have about an hour and a half's worth of stuff already stockpiled that just all happened to be released in 2008, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to share it with you.  

None of this lot should have appeared on a previous List (unless I've erred), which is perhaps surprising in the case of the Hibbett track, appearing as it has on practically every indiepop love song mix CD or playlist I've compiled for almost as long as it's been out; and also in the case of the Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip selection, being the title track of an album I probably played more than any other hip-hop long-player for many a long year.

Elsewhere, it's a particular pleasure to include something by long-time John Peel faves Freiwillige Selbskontrolle, aka FSK (have I remembered correctly that they were the foreign act to record the most Peel sessions?); an instrumental from The Magnetic Fields' feedback-driven Distortion concept album; two acts in The Zebras and The Electric Pop Group whom I'd have loved to have seen at that year's Indietracks festival had line-up clashes permitted; ONSIND, one half of Pity Me's beatingmost heart and conscience Martha; and an insistent, driving cut from superb Field Music side project The Week That Was.

Oh, there's Spain's entry to Eurovision 2008 lobbed in, too.  Just because I find it disproportionately entertaining :-)

J xx






















 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home