Friday 9 February 2018

LIST 233 - 09/02/18

Hello again,

Back to the more regular mish-mash sort of List this week after a couple of recent diversions, but back also, alas, to the need for an in loving memory inclusion, following the passing of South Africa's jazz figurehead Hugh Masekela a fortnight ago at the age of 78.  From the American pop success of the 1960s to the protest songs of his subsequent output via numerous professional collaborations and social initiatives, here was a life fuller than most.

Wiggy Giggy, the second single to be taken from The Lovely Eggs' forthcoming fifth LP This is Eggland, appears from this remove to be gaining the single-minded Lancaster duo the sort of traction and airplay that nothing else previously has; is stardom beckoning, all entirely on their terms?  Mmmm, possibly not quite that, but I'll just settle for a headline slot at Indietracks for them this July, ta.

Elsewhere, it's a pleasure to include the whipsmart Rainbow Reservoir, heading to a fine indiepop venue near you on the 22nd of March, so long as near you happens to be Shakespeares in Sheffield.  I'll see you there.  Choosing Kate Moss with a Moustache is also all the excuse I need to segue into my favourite Moustache of Insanity track straight after.  I miss Moustache of Insanity sooooooooooooooo much.

Dead Moon Night by Dead Moon would have made the cut for last week's eponymous tracks List had I been prepared to bend the rules on wording slightly.  But I wasn't, so I didn't.  The New Wave-tinged Mark Goodier session version of Babylon by Pop Will Eat Itself, meanwhile, is so far superior to the underwhelming ambient version which eventually saw light of day on the band's Dos Dedos Mis Amigos album that to this day I still can't work out why they favoured the latter over the former - fortunately the expanded reissue of said album on Cherry Red includes both.

Finally, here's a question for you.  Which is the one item of music you've left the longest between buying or receiving and actually playing?  

The reason for asking: the Arcwelder track included is one of several I'll be adding in the coming weeks that will have been taken from the triple CD compilation that was given to all attendees at the Camber Sands renewal of the All Tomorrow's Parties festival... in 2002.  I can't honestly give you any sane reason or excuse as to why it stayed in the unplayed pile for a decade and a half when plenty of other things tend to get retrieved from there inside weeks if not days - more fool me, as there are so many splendid tracks on there which could have been enriching my life for years already!

It's not the worst example - somewhere I have an industrial/EBM magazine and compilation which has remained sealed ever since I acquired it during a year spent living and working in Germany in 1995-6, exactly half my lifetime ago.  I wonder if it will ever get a spin...

J xx























0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home