Friday, 18 September 2009

LIST 21 - 18/09/2009

Hello again,

I feel as if I'm a pretty late comer to the naughtily-monikered F*ck Buttons, but I'm glad I've got there at last. Like much on their two albums to date, Space Mountain is astonishing stuff - like a more aggressive, visceral Boards Of Canada, if that isn't doing both acts a disservice.

Other than that, this time around there's a double helping of veteran Japanese punk-poppers Shonen Knife (28 years and still going strong!); French hip-hop; Norwegian pronk; Cardiacs-obsessed circus indiepunks; the cutest Americans ever; and a boat full of robots playing Baroque music. 

Oh yes, and something to test fans of Soundgarden for a sense of humour...

J xx



METRIC - Monster Hospital (2005) 

AU REVOIR SIMONE – All Or Nothing (2009) 

JIM NOIR – I Me You I’m Your (2005) 

PASSION PIT – The Reeling (2009) 

GRINDERMAN - Grinderman (2007) 

RONDÃ’ VENEZIANO – La Serenissima (1983) 

UNGDOMSKULEN – Idunno (2009) 

AIR - Mer Du Japon (2007) 

THE SIDDELEYS – What Went Wrong This Time (1987) 

MAGNOLIA ELECTRIC CO. – Josephine (2009) 

TTC - Travailler (2007) 

THE SMITTENS – One Hundred Roses (2009) 


THEN AND NOW: Shonen Knife
SHONEN KNIFE – Riding on the Rocket [Original] (1986)
SHONEN KNIFE – Super Group (2008) 



F*CK BUTTONS – Space Mountain (2009) 

A HAWK AND A HACKSAW – God Bless the Ottoman Empire (2006) 

YOUR TWENTIES – Annie (demo) (2009) 

APRIL SMITH – Bright White Jackets (2005) 

SILVERY - Horrors (2008) 

MOOG COOKBOOK - Black Hole Sun (1996) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LIST 275 - 10/10/2026 (a sixth cover versions special)

Hello again, "Sunday in Sheffield, people.  DID YOU GO TO CHURCH? Don't worry, this is Tchurch!" And the gospel according to T...