I'm always willing to be surprised by an act I've never hitherto thought much of, and MGMT's splendid piece of chamber pop is probably the latest case in point. It's Working is far more interesting to my mind than anything on the hit Time to Pretend album, though the comparatively modest sales of both the former and its parent album up to now suggest that this isn't the more widely held view.
Elsewhere this week, there's an Eels Then and Now feature, with the newer track evidently coming from the first of two albums slated for 2010. The Rodolfo Halffter composition marks a first foray into contemporary South American classical music for this site, and similarly I don't think we've had too many Field Mice-influenced solo projects from Finland prior to Matador Jose!
Finally, and inexcusably overdue, for which apologies, I've given over the last few minutes to Frank Sidebottom by way of a tribute to his earthly keeper Chris Sievey, who as you'll know lost his battle with cancer this summer.
Although mostly catching Chris's output in The Freshies retrospectively, I do remember hearing the first Radio Timperley that Frank did for the James H Reeve show on Piccadilly Radio (I don't know whether this was the first one for any station) on the evening of broadcast. As I write this, there's a near-complete set of all of his Oink! cartoons in my other room, too.
To this indefatigable, eternally youthful, relentlessly optimistic comic creation I wish a fond farewell, and say thank you for the memories.
J xx
MGMT – It’s Working (2010)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sCw8-mIEoM
LAURA VEIRS – July Flame (2010)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLilpPtY2JU
TULLYCRAFT – Twee (2002)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7PN3YTzuYM&p=49AEC181E3F2B52B
HEALTH – USA Boys (2010)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIbjjzXr1KA
BARBATUQUES – Barbapapa’s Groove (2007)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q4aj_te-dw&p=C7C115AAC3766AA0
PILOT CLOUD – The Swell (2010)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppk9Lfgqw1c
MATADOR JOSE – I Sure Will Miss You (2007)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E43JLgpcldA
EELS – Spectacular Girl (2010)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IjbYBHhCC0&p=98813F72939E9CFD
EELS – Novocaine for the Soul (1996)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2yy141q8HQ&ob=av3e
THE FAUNS – Understand (2009)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNhJSq881js&p=4EBAF0F3A48C1119
SPAGHETTI ANYWHERE – Incredible Hulk (2010)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4bbzKAMkDY
RODOLFO HALFFTER / CUARTETO REVUELTAS – Tiento No. 5 (1973 / 2009)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs_mU_fphrY
THE PRESETS – This Boy’s in Love (2008)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKwnc7QpUt0
THE BLANCHE HUDSON WEEKEND – Grip of Fear (2010)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KRCDd7t7XU
TO MY BOY – Antarctica (2010)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-ieZMZR3dc
HEAVENLY – P.U.N.K. Girl (1993)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jxPoJNfM4s
PATRICK WOLF – Bluebells (2006)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89yEOAapoMc
CLEM SNIDE – Walmart Parking Lot (2010)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu4TnsAuVlw
BEIRUT – No Dice (2009)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M1YsGKgHXc
FRANK SIDEBOTTOM – Mr Custard (Channel M Test Card Version) (2007)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3VbrEetg18
FRANK SIDEBOTTOM – Mull of Timperley (1987)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka75vhSh49o
To this indefatigable, eternally youthful, relentlessly optimistic comic creation I wish a fond farewell, and say thank you for the memories.
J xx
MGMT – It’s Working (2010)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sCw8-mIEoM
LAURA VEIRS – July Flame (2010)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLilpPtY2JU
TULLYCRAFT – Twee (2002)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7PN3YTzuYM&p=49AEC181E3F2B52B
HEALTH – USA Boys (2010)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIbjjzXr1KA
BARBATUQUES – Barbapapa’s Groove (2007)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q4aj_te-dw&p=C7C115AAC3766AA0
PILOT CLOUD – The Swell (2010)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppk9Lfgqw1c
MATADOR JOSE – I Sure Will Miss You (2007)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E43JLgpcldA
EELS – Spectacular Girl (2010)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IjbYBHhCC0&p=98813F72939E9CFD
EELS – Novocaine for the Soul (1996)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2yy141q8HQ&ob=av3e
THE FAUNS – Understand (2009)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNhJSq881js&p=4EBAF0F3A48C1119
SPAGHETTI ANYWHERE – Incredible Hulk (2010)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4bbzKAMkDY
RODOLFO HALFFTER / CUARTETO REVUELTAS – Tiento No. 5 (1973 / 2009)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs_mU_fphrY
THE PRESETS – This Boy’s in Love (2008)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKwnc7QpUt0
THE BLANCHE HUDSON WEEKEND – Grip of Fear (2010)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KRCDd7t7XU
TO MY BOY – Antarctica (2010)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-ieZMZR3dc
HEAVENLY – P.U.N.K. Girl (1993)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jxPoJNfM4s
PATRICK WOLF – Bluebells (2006)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89yEOAapoMc
CLEM SNIDE – Walmart Parking Lot (2010)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu4TnsAuVlw
BEIRUT – No Dice (2009)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M1YsGKgHXc
FRANK SIDEBOTTOM – Mr Custard (Channel M Test Card Version) (2007)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3VbrEetg18
FRANK SIDEBOTTOM – Mull of Timperley (1987)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka75vhSh49o
No comments:
Post a Comment